When you’re looking for ways to improve your home, potentially for resale, the first place to look is your home’s energy efficiency. Not only is this important for how marketable your house is, either immediately or down the road, it’s also important when you’re looking at ways to save money. If you’re unfamiliar with how exactly to go about improving your home’s energy efficiency, here are a few quick tips to get you started:
- Have an independent contractor perform a home energy audit, to determine where your home could improve its energy efficiency. This is obviously the most straightforward approach, and the one which will give you the most tangible objectives to aim for, moving forward.
- Make sure all of your home’s small and large appliances have the ENERGY STAR® rating.
- Take advantage of local tax incentives to upgrade your home to be more energy efficient.
- Replace your home’s existing insulation with a high performance spray foam insulation like Icynene, which can help to reduce air leakage, thereby reducing the amount of work your HVAC unit has to do to keep your home heated or cooled.
- Plant shade-giving trees and shrubs, to reduce how much heat your home absorbs from direct sunlight in warmer months.
Talk to a licensed Icynene spray foam insulation contractor in your area, to find out more about your home’s current energy efficiency, how you can improve it, and all the other reasons to choose Icynene.