When you see winter on the horizon, do you begin a panicked search for your slippers and heavy sweaters, or do you smile and shrug? If your home is insulated with traditional materials like fiberglass or cellulose, you may already be pulling out your space heaters. If you’ve already upgraded your existing insulation to spray foam insulation, however, winter is just another season to enjoy your home.
The reason spray foam insulation like Icynene can make any home comfortable all year round is thanks to its ability to expand immediately after application, filling tiny holes and crevices in the building envelope that traditional insulation materials might not reach. This creates an effective air barrier, reducing the likelihood of drafts developing and helping to eliminate cold spots. In addition, installing Icynene spray foam insulation in your home can help result in lower monthly heating and cooling bills, thanks to its air sealing ability.
That’s right, energy efficient living can also result in a more comfortable living space. If this is something that piques your interest, there are plenty of resources available to help guide you to even more energy efficient living, through home improvements. You might even consider retrofitting your home to become a passive house, which is not only a highly energy efficient way of living, it’s comfortable, too. Icynene spray foam insulation can be a vital part of a passive house upgrade, because it is a high performance insulation capable of creating an effective air seal on your home.
However even if you haven’t decided to convert your home to a passive house, if you have spray foam insulation like Icynene in your home, you’ll find it to be more comfortable as the weather becomes colder.
So what can you do this winter, so that you get the most out of your cozy home?
- Put away that extra blanket you’ve always needed, starting in the fall. You’ll find that the draft you’ve always felt at night near your bed isn’t what it used to be.
- Feel free to walk around the house in bare feet, because your floors aren’t icy cold anymore.
- Take off your scarf when you come in the door, instead of leaving it on out of necessity.
- Set aside the money you would have been paying each month on your heating bill and go to the movies with that money. Maybe even take your family.
- Use your fireplace because you want to create atmosphere, instead of because it’s essential for everyone to feel warm.
- Practice yoga at home to help you relax, instead of cardio to help you warm up.
- Enjoy ice cream for dessert again.
These may be silly ideas, but when you have a home that’s drafty and cold in the winter, and you’re either going to go broke from turning the thermostat too high or suffer, many of these activities are a pipe dream. There truly is nothing worse than getting out of bed in the morning and wincing as your feet touch the floor.
On the other hand, what will you have to say goodbye to, when you upgrade to Icynene spray foam insulation?
- That adorable dog-shaped draft stopper you purchased at your favorite home decor store. Although you could probably just line one of the hallways with it, if you’re that attached.
- You may need to actually use ice cubes to cool down your drinks again, instead of just leaving them out on the counter for 15-20 minutes.
- You may not need to wear that cute flannel adult onesie to bed anymore.
- You may actually need to store potatoes and onions in a proper cellar, instead of on the kitchen counter.
- All those hilarious balaclavas you bought to wear in the house probably won’t be necessary anymore. But you can always wear them when you go skiing.
- The Snuggie™ someone bought you as a joke that you’ve actually been using can probably be stored in the linen closet. Unless you really, really love it.
- All those Hot Paws™ you purchased for use while you’re home can now be given to your children for when they go tobogganing.
Again, these may come across as tongue-in-cheek, frivolous ideas, but the struggle is real when your home is drafty and costs too much to keep warm when the weather is cold.
Do you find yourself looking at these two lists and wishing you could check each one off? It may be time to consider replacing your traditional insulation with spray foam insulation like Icynene. Whether your house is 150 years old or less than a decade old, Icynene spray foam insulation is guaranteed for the life of the home.
Talk to a licensed Icynene spray foam insulation contractor in your area, to find out more reasons why Icynene is the ideal choice to help you and your family stay warm in your home this winter.